Wednesday 9 April 2014

Too Skinny For Yale!!!!!!!!!!



92-pound Yale University student has finally ended her face-off with school officials who spent months insisting that she either gain weight or be suspended. And Frances Chan, 20, who contends she never had an eating disorder to begin with but is simply genetically thin, could not be more relieved.



“It felt really bad to be this powerless,” the student told theNew Haven Register Sunday. “I ate ice cream twice a day. I ate cookies. I used elevators instead of walking up stairs. But I don’t really gain any weight.”

Chan’s problems with the Ivy League school began back in September, when she went to Smilow Cancer Hospital at Yale-New Haven to have a breast lump checked. Though the lump was benign, it led to Yale Health, the student health center, scrutinizing her general health and, in particular, her low weight. 

“I met with a clinician on December 4 and was told that the ‘concern’ was my low weight and that I would meet with her for weekly weigh-ins. These appointments were not optional,” Chan writes in an essay about her experience, “Yale University Thinks I Have an Eating Disorder,” published by the Huffington Post in March. “The clinician threatened to put me on medical leave if I did not comply.” She goes on to explain that she’s “always been small,” just like the rest of her family. 

“Just visited Yale Health with my parents and met with a new doctor. She apologized repeatedly for the ‘months of anguish’ I went through and admitted that BMI is not the end all be all,” Chan posted to her Facebook page on Friday. “She also looked at my medical records since freshman year (which the previous clinician had not done) and noted that she saw that my weight had remained around the same. So she trusts that I do not have an eating disorder and admitted that ‘we made a mistake.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment