Thursday 10 April 2014

Oscar Pistorius Anguish at Reeva Steenkamp photo


"It's time that you look at it," chief prosecutor Gerrie Nel said, presenting the photo at the start of the first day of cross-examination.

The South African athlete, who denies murdering Ms Steenkamp, insisted he had made a "mistake".
He says he accidentally killed her after mistaking her for an intruder.
He told the court on Wednesday: "I made a mistake. My mistake was that I took Reeva's life."
Prosecutors say Mr Pistorius intentionally killed Ms Steenkamp on 14 February last year by firing a gun through a bathroom door at her after a row at his Pretoria home.
The 27-year-old Olympic and Paralympic sprinter, who is a double amputee, faces life imprisonment if convicted of murdering the 29-year-old model, reality TV celebrity and law graduate.
An emotional Mr Pistorius turned away from the image on a monitor screen and said: "I've taken responsibility… but I will not look at a picture where I am tormented by what I saw and felt that night... I remember. I don't have to look at a picture, I was there.''
After an adjournment to allow Mr Pistorius to compose himself, Mr Nel sought to highlight what he said were inconsistencies in the athlete's statements, questioning his claims that police had tampered with items in his home after the shooting.
"I am not pleading not guilty because the scene was contaminated," Mr Pistorius countered. "I am pleading not guilty because what I'm accused of didn't happen.
Aimee Pistorius, sister of South African Olympic and Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius, reacts during her brother's trial at the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria, 9 April 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment