Saturday 1 February 2014

Why i changed my name- IK Osakioduwa

 IK Osakioduwa
The name change did not have anything to do with my marriage. When I decided to go by my real name, IK Osakioduwa, people thought it was because I was about to get married.

 It really had nothing to do with it. It was for business. I was trying to re-brand for business. The name Wild child had become very big brand.

 What happened with the name Wild child was that I could not use it on television and I just started a television career. 

I could not use the name on television because there was a Wild child in South Africa; there was one in America and then Wild Children in the UK. There was no room to grow internationally with the name.

 You would not want to come out now and call yourself  D’banj or say you are a Dre. People would look at you and think you are not creative enough. 

 I did not want to play second fiddle to anybody’s name, so I decided to change my name

It was just a matter of time. A few things also triggered it. There was a job I was supposed to do for a bank but the proposal the event planner submitted made the bank MD angry. 

When the event planner submitted the name Wild child, the MD of the bank was furious and asked the planner to look for a more responsible MC.

 He wondered how somebody who called himself Wild child would host such event as CEO awards. The name was just useless. 

 The planner called me and asked for my name and resubmitted the proposal and I got the job. Same event, same MD, just a name change; I decided then that I was going to open myself up. 

Also, Wild child is a name I can never leave for my kids. My child cannot proudly say that he’s Wild child Junior.

 It would never be an advantage to them; so I thought if I used my real name, when they grow up; the name could open doors for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment