Thursday 27 February 2014

Teacher avoids prison after spending the night with 16-year-old school boy

Bernadette Smith, 33, pleaded guilty to sexual activity with a pupilSheriff Wyllie Robertson told Smith, 35, who kissed Gary, 16, and lay beside him wearing only jeans and a bra, that she had committed a serious abuse of trust, and only the fact that she had not gone further had saved her from a jail sentence



A married teacher has been spared jail after admitting having an affair with a boy of 16.
Shamed history teacher, Bernadette Smith, admitted abusing her position of trust by “engaging in sexual activity” with 16-year-old schoolboy Gary Ralston.


The 35-year-old - who underwent a barrage of psychiatric tests before the hearing - was sentenced to a two-year-community payback order and placed on the sex offenders’ register for the same period of time.

She looked surprised as the sheriff decided not to jail her and left Stirling Sheriff Court with a broad grin across her face.
The Daily Record revealed last November how mother-of-three Smith, from Denny, Stirlingshire, groomed Gary in her classroom at Bannockburn High School, after calling him in for a lunchtime chat.

She told the stunned boy she loved him before the pair went to a nearby park and had their first kiss.
However, the teenager’s grandmother found out and told the school. Smith was then suspended on September 19.
 
But just hours after the meeting she visited the house the boy shared with Richard and the pair spent the night together in bed when she stripped down to her jeans and bra.

Gary,  described how Smith first called him in for a lunchtime chat.
He said: “I thought she was meeting me to ask me how I was getting on and if I had any problems.
“She was sitting very close and I can remember blushing a bit. Then she came out with it. She said she had feelings for me.
“I didn’t have a clue what to do.
“It was the last thing I expected and I couldn’t get my head around it. I was stunned. I knew what she was doing was wrong.”
 
He added: “What she did was wrong. If I was in her husband’s position I wouldn’t be happy. I just wish none of this ever happened, and that I’d said no.”

No comments:

Post a Comment